One of my last to-do’s of 2013 is to look back and see what you—those who live in, work in, or support affordable housing—looked at in StopPests.org. Spoiler alert: it’s NOT all bed bugs. Here they are, the top 13 webpages you (and over 30,000 others) came to in 2013.
- The StopPests Homepage: www.stoppests.org. Here’s where you’ll find links to everything we do. Thanks for swinging by.
- Blog Post: Using a clothes dryer to kill bed bugs (Sample Newsletter Article). This 2011 post continues to be our most popular! It’s not all about heat. Many of you saw the news reports this month on bed bugs’ cold tolerance, this post has a bit on that too.
- Blog Post: If you see cockroaches during the day, the infestation is bad (Sample Newsletter Article). The information on this continues to grow as we get questions through the comments on the post.
- Blog Post: Pests and Smoke Alarms—A Dangerous Combination (Sample Newsletter Article). The title says it all.
- You asked, “How do you get rid of a heavy cockroach infestation?” We answered in our most popular FAQ.
- Our FAQ page answers the questions (like the one in #5) that we get online and during our IPM in Multifamily Housing Trainings. Got a question to add? Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter!
- IPM: A Guide for Affordable Housing gives housing providers the basics of IPM. If you want a professional to coach you through implementing IPM at your property, sign up here.
- We keep pest-specific advice for pest control in affordable housing on our Pest Solutions Pages. No surprise, the bed bug page is the most popular of these.
- Want to teach people about IPM? Use our free, well-vetted training materials. If you recognize the slides, it’s because the National Center for Healthy Housing uses them for their IPM course too! Want to host IPM training at your property? Fill out our consulting and training request form.
- Do you struggle to help residents do their part in IPM? Judging by the popularity of this page, you’re not alone.
- One of the resources we’ve developed to help you help residents keep their homes good for people and bad for pests is “The Tenant’s Role in IPM” video. You can download it for free.
- Webinars are a convenient way to learn. Our most popular one is about Delusional Infestation.
- To close out this list, I want to draw your attention to a relatively new page that is gaining popularity—The StopPests Research Database. We noticed that you liked posts where we've referenced research, or we hear that you are applying for IPM funding and need research justification. So we built this database for you.
What does the top 13 mean for 2014?
Expect to see more blog posts, webinars, and new content about using IPM to manage cockroaches, bed bugs, and other pests!
Stay informed all year 'round by subscribing to this blog and coming to us any time you have a question about IPM in affordable housing.